Feeding the television obsession....

Thursday, September 15, 2005

NYC Entertainment

Now I know my blog is mostly dedicated to television and everything to do with it, but I also like to discuss other things entertainment. In that vain I would like to tell those of you in NYC about some things you should check out:

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

This broadway show next to Wicked on 50th street is really funny. You sit in the round in what appears to be a high school gym. They use audience members as part of the play which adds to its hilarity. There are, as with any show, some slow moments but overall you will find yourself laughing and at many times in hysterics. Or if you are the woman near me crying with joy...literally out with the tissues.

Basically the premise is a county spelling bee to send the winner to nationals. The group is made up of various misfits and run by a demented vice principial and a former county spelling champion.

It seems you can get tix each day for $25 by going to the theatre or there seem to be standing room tickets as well. The show is a little less than 2 hours.

Nadine G - Singer Songwriter

Yes, I am doing a plug for a very good friend of mine, but I would only do it if she warranted it. Nadine, as I said, is a singer songwriter who has been in a bunch of festivals and has been awarded all sorts of acclaim.

Her tone is a little scat, a little jazz, soul, folk, rock, she has it all. I checked out her show the other night and it rocked. Sometimes she plays with her band and sometimes she goes solo. In both instances she's great.

If you live in NYC check out her website www.nadineg.com to see where she is playing next. If you don't check out her website to hear some of her music. You can even buy a song or two on itunes if there is something you like.

Like I said, I know the plug is shameless but she is really good and if you are looking for some new independent music to add to her collection check her out.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live for shameless plugs. You should see what I did to hock my book a while back!

I've I lived anywhere near NY, I'd check her out.

6:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home