Feeding the television obsession....

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

What a Rockstar!

Before we get to tonight's winner of Rock Star: INXS let's discuss the show a little bit.

First enter former contestants. I was hoping that this show wouldn't be true Mark Burnett style and have the kicked off contestants involved in some way. Thankfully they just sat there and swayed. A few of them, ie Ty and Jordis looked totally unthrilled to be there and were cursing the contracts they probably signed that obligated them to be.

We start off with Mig who we know has know chance. The only thing he has going for him is that he is from Australia, but that really doesn't add up to much. He's good, but too theatrical and "just not right for the band...INXS." Anyway, he busts out with Bohemian Rhapsody. I have to say, for someone who does this for a living (the lead in a Queen play) he wasn't that good. I would have expected to be blown away...I wasn't. Although he was clearly going home anyway. Even if he sang Pretty Vegas.

Mig is followed up by J.D. The rockers were allowed to choose any song that had been done on the show. It would have been pretty funny if he did Trees. He seemed so nervous, in fact I think he hit himself with the microphone. I'm not sure I would have chosen the song that he did, but he rocked it. He is such an incredible performer.

Marty is now up and he looks petrified after J.D.'s performance. Marty has always freaked me out a little bit and tonight is no exception.

Now for the vote off. I love how INXS pretends they are deliberating. Clearly they have made their decisions already. Off goes Mig. He doesn't thank his wife? Maybe that was her in the balcony? Maybe it was the girl crying? Who else would be crying...CRYING...I mean c'mon.

Down to the final two and once again we hear songs by INXS. Enjoyed watching the performers...the songs...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Once again INXS pretends to deliberate, how could they even hear the performer while they were performing? And the winner is....

J.D.

Finally, one of these reality shows gets it right! Despite his cockiness he was by far the better performer and exactly what this band...INXS... needs.

To wrap up this summer filler...the most important lesson I learned is that I enjoyed the show, would watch a variation again, but I won't be buying any INXS albums anytime soon. They are just not that good. Maybe they'll redo their image now with J.D., but I found myself bored during many of their songs and wondering why I liked them in the first place.

What's next?:

Rockstar: Simon & Garfunkel
Rockstar: Billy Joel
Rockstar: Beatles

Save NBC

That's what NBC was hoping with My Name is Earl. It was clear on Emmy night that Will (from Will & Grace) didn't find the joke about floundering NBC all that funny. I was all psyched up for this premier given the buzz and the fact that I was hoping to return to an NBC of yore.

The verdict...EH!

Once again loved the no or very limited commercials. That was the best part for me. I like the concept, like the illegitimate kids, like crabman but the execution...EH.

However, with all pilots they get another chance, so lets see what happens next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home